Learning Git and GitHub can be daunting if you’re new to it. I recently gave a small presentation where I pretty much firehosed a group of people about Git and GitHub for one hour. I felt bad that I could only really scratch the surface.
I thought it might be useful to collect some resources that have helped me understand Git and GitHub better. If you only read one thing, read Think like a git. That’ll provide a good understanding and maybe motivate you to read the others.
- Pro Git If you have time to read a full book, read this one. It’s free!
- The Git Parable This story walks through what it would be like to create a Git like system from the ground up. In the process, you learn a lot about how Git is designed.
- Think like a git This is for someone who’s been using Git, but doesn’t feel they really understand it. If you’re afraid of the rebase, this is for you. It made Git click for me and inspired me to build SeeGit.
- The thing about Git This is a bit of a philosophical piece with practical Git workflow suggestions.
- GitHub Flow Like a Pro with these 13 Git Aliases This is about Git, but also GitHub workflows. It’s a useful collection of aliases I put together.
Git on Windows
- Better Git with PowerShell Introduces Posh-Git. But don’t follow the instructions for installing Posh-Git here. Instead use…
- Introducing GitHub for Windows GitHub for Windows is not only a nice UI client for Git geared towards GitHub, but it also is a great way to get the git command line and Posh-Git onto your machine.
- GitHub Guides A collection of short but useful guides for getting started with GitHub.
- How GitHub uses GitHub to build GitHub A great talk about how we at GitHub use GitHub.
- How GitHub no longer works Building on the previous talk, this covers how GitHub’s workflow has changed over time as we’ve grown.
- How GitHub Saved My Marriage Covers ways that people use GitHub for non-coding endeavors like staying married.
This is by no means a comprehensive list, and perhaps not the best list, but it’s my list. Happy reading!