Service Unavailable Errors in IIS 7 Are Killing Me
UPDATE: Problem solved thanks to some members of the IIS 7 team!
I am at my wits end trying to get IIS 7 to work on my Vista Ultimate box and I have tried everything I can think of.
I’ve tried every step in the following tutorial, Where did my IIS7 Server go? Troubleshooting “server not found” errors. I also tried every step in this post on troubleshooting “service unavailable” errors. Trust me when I say I went through every one of these steps twice. Rob Conery can back me up on this because he watched me do so in a when I shared my desktop with him via GoToMeeting.
As far as I can tell, IIS 7 or http.sys must be corrupted somehow and the only thing left for me to try is to repave my machine and reinstall Vista. Unless of course one of my dear readers has an insight that will help me solve this, or knows someone who does.
I’m running Vista Ultimate which has IIS 7 installed. When I navigate to http://localhost/ or http://localhost/iisstart.htm, I get an HTTP Error 503 Service Unavailable message.
What I’ve Tried
Confirmed that Skype is not listening to port 80 (Skype tries to listen on port 80 by default).
1. Confirmed that App Pools were configured correctly and started.
2. Ran the following command: appcmd list apppools which produced the output:
APPPOOL "DefaultAppPool" (MgdVersion:v2.0,MgdMode:Integrated,state:Started) APPPOOL "Classic .NET AppPool" (MgdVersion:v2.0,MgdMode:Classic,state:Started)
3. Confirmed that Website was started.
4. Ran the following command: netstat -a -o -b which produced the output:
TCP [::]:80 METAVERSE:0 LISTENING 4Can not obtain ownership information
The 4 there is the PID which I confirmed to be System as in the NT Kernal & System.
5. Confirmed bindings were configured in IIS Manager and set for localhost port 80.
6. No error messages in the event log under System nor Application.
7. Made sure that my user account and the Network Service account both have access to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot directory.
8. Tried browsing to http://MYCOMPUTERNAME/, http://localhost:80/, http://127.0.0.1/, etc… (I was getting desparate).
9. Tried changing the default AppPool’s managed pipeline mode to Classic.
10. Tried changing the default AppPool’s .NET framework version to No Managed Code (recall that I am trying to request a static HTML page).
11. Able to ping localhost.
12. Tried to telnet localhost 80 and then issue the command GET / and received the same message.
13. Double checked that all the Handler Mappings were enabled.
14. Made sure Anonymous Authentication was enabled. Heck, I tried it with them all enabled and tried it with only Windows Authentication enabled.
15. Authorization Rules has one rule: Mode=allow, Users=All Users.
16. Enabled Failed Request Tracking. Nothing showed up in the logs.
17. Uninstalled and reinstalled IIS 7.
18. Tried pulling my hair out and rending my garments and sacrificing chickens^1^.
So there you go. I’ve tried everything I can think of and now I appeal to you for help.
The funny thing is that this works on my Vista box at work and I compared every setting in IIS. This confirms in my mind that something got fubar’d. But I hesitate to repave my machine just yet in the hope that someone out there has some definitive answers for me.
^1^ No actual chickens were harmed in troubleshooting this problem.