It’s been all quiet on the Subtext front for a while. While I think many open source projects face the occasional lull, Subtext was hit by a Perfect Storm of inactivity.
This was mostly because several of the key developers all ended up having job changes (and moves) around the same time. For me, the move to Microsoft and up to the Seattle area took up a lot of my time and energy.
I finally feel settled in so I fired up the old TortoiseSVN client and got latest from the tree excited to see what new goodness people checked in during my absence.
Ok, that’s not exactly true, but captures the spirit of the truth.
In any case, now that I’m mostly settled into lovely Bellevue, WA, I decided to spend a bit of time last week working on Subtext. I’m now swamped again, but I got a few key fixes in already which I’m happy about.
We decided to scale back the 2.0 release a bit. We were a bit too ambitious with the feature set and supporting two branches became way to time consuming. So we replaced the trunk with the 1.9 branch and all new development is in the trunk where it should be.
The next version will still target ASP.NET 2.0, but after that, we want to have fun with this so we’ll start to target ASP.NET 3.5. I won’t go into the feature list for 2.0 right now. The bulk of the work is on bug fixes, small tweaks and improvements, and infrastructure improvements. I feel like one of the best parts of Subtext is our build process and continuous integration server.
Since we decided to label the next version 2.0, we will be adding a few new hotly requested features. It should be a nice release. Sorry it’s been so quiet for so long, but the engine is back up and running full speed ahead.