Most of the time when I’m testing my code, I only test it using the en-US culture since, ...well..., I speak English and I live in the U.S. Isn’t the U.S. the only country that matters anyway? ;) Fortunately, there are Subtext team members living in other countries ready to smack such nonsensical thoughts from my head and keep me honest about Localization and Internationalization issues. Simone, who is an Italian living in New Zealand, pointed out that a particular unit test that works on my machine always fails on his machine. Here’s the test. [RowTest]
[Row("4/12/2006", "04/12/2006 00:00:00 AM")]
[Row("20070123T120102", "01/23/2007 12:01:02...
Are your unit tests a little flat lately? Have they lost their shine and seem a bit directionless? Maybe it’s time to jazz ’em up a bit with the latest release of MbUnit. Andrew Stopford posted a list of bug fixes, improvements, and new features. The new feature I’m selfishly excited about is the new Attribute that can Extract an Embedded Resource. Finally, I have a patch submitted to MbUnit! :) MbUnit has changed the way I write unit tests. Here’s a list of a few of my posts on MbUnit. Specialized Assertion Classes Row-based Testing in MbUnit...
If you’ve worked with unit test frameworks like NUnit or MbUnit for a while, you are probably all too familiar with the set of assertion methods that come built into these frameworks. For example: Assert.AreEqual(expected, actual);
Assert.Between(actual, left, right);
// and so on...
While the list of methods on the Assert class is impressive, it leaves much to be desired. For example, I needed to assert that a string value was a member of an array. Here’s the test I wrote.
public void CanFindRole()
string roles = Roles.GetRolesForUser("pikachu");
bool found = false;
foreach (string role in roles)
UPDATE: This functionality is now rolled into the latest version of MbUnit.
A long time ago Patrick Cauldwell wrote up a technique for managing external files within unit tests by embedding them as resources and unpacking the resources during the unit test. This is a powerful technique for making unit tests self contained.
If you look in our unit tests for Subtext, I took this approach to heart, writing several different methods in our UnitTestHelper class for extracting embedded resources.
Last night, I had the idea to make the code cleaner and even easier to use by implementing a custom test decorator attribute...
For the longest time now, I’ve been a fan of MbUnit, but never really used it on a real project. In part, I stuck with NUnit despite MbUnit’s superiority because NUnit was the defacto standard.
Well you know what? Pretty much every company or client I end up moving to has not had unit testing in place before I arrived. I’ve always been the one to introduce unit testing. So on my latest project, when I finally meet another developer who writes unit tests, and he is using MbUnit, I decided to make the switch.
And that, my friends, was...
Jonathan de Halleux, aka Peli, never ceases to impress me with his innovations within MbUnit. In case you're not familiar with MbUnit, it's a unit testing framework similar to NUnit.
The difference is that while NUnit seems to have stagnated, Jonathan is constantly innovating new features, test fixtures, etc... for a complete unit testing solution. In fact, he's even made it so that you can run your NUnit tests within MbUnit without a recompile.
His latest feature is not necessarily a mind blower, but it's definitely will save me a lot of time writing the same type of code over...